Masks the fired colour of the ceramic body so the engobe should be as white as possible:
- Creates a smooth and flat surface ready for the glaze application
- Promotes the coupling between the glaze and the body with the right thermal expansion
- Avoids bad reactions between the body and the glaze.
The glaze is the “dress” of ceramicware; its main purposes are:
- Coating the body: provides impermeability, hygienic properties, is easy to clean
- Protection: give resistance to chemical agents and scratches
- Fashion: give desire aesthetic effects